Saturday, 5 July 2014

Albe 2nd July, 2013 - 5th July, 2014



It is with a very sad heart that I have to tell you my dad's old dog Albe had to be put to sleep this afternoon.

I was over at dad’s today.  It wasn’t till I got there that dad mentioned Albe had some kind of fit in the night and was banging around trying to get out of the kitchen.  Dad sat up with him from 1pm and obviously hardly slept at all.  He said he calmed down around 5am.
During the day Albe was very sleepy, but happily went outside with Polly.
Just as I was getting my trainers on so dad could bring me and Polly home, Albe went into a very violent fit.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  I held him as best I could, as I was afraid he’d hurt himself.  Twice he went limp and I thought he’d died, but he would then gasp and go into another fit.  It lasted over 20 minutes.  When the fitting stopped, it was like he was blind and ran into the corner of the room and then ran the other way right into the patio door.  I managed to get him and lead him outside, but he was obviously very disorientated.  I let Polly out and she followed him as he wandered round and round.
I phoned the vets and it went to the emergency number.  Spoke with vet who said it sounded worse than an epileptic fit.  I asked if we could bring him down to the surgery, so she met us there.  Dad drove and I sat in the back holding Albe.  He just kept moving and was obviously very frightened.  When we got there dad stayed in the car and I led him in.  The vet said she could see how bad he still was, which was actually 90% better than when he was fitting.  We discussed various things, but she said considering his age, it would be kinder to put him to sleep.  I stayed with him until he had gone to The Bridge.
Dad got Albe on 2nd July 2013.  His previous old girl Maggie had to be pts after he’d only had her about 18 months.  Albe was a wonderful old lad and kept my dad company.  

 Dad, Polly and I will miss you.


Run free, till it's time for us to fetch you.

18 comments:

  1. Ah, so very sorry to hear this Sue. Your dad must be heartbroken over the loss of his dog. No matter how long he has had him.
    The saddest thing about having them is always having to let them go and knowing the right time to do it is one of the hardest things. In the end they all break our hearts. But not for one moment would we have changed being part of their lives, even for a short time. Lots of love to your dad from us. xxx Polly will miss Albe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue I am in tears here, I am so very very sorry for you all and especially for poor Albe for having to go through it. At least he won't have to suffer that awful trauma again,
    Your poor Dad will be very lonely now.
    ((((hugs)))) to you all
    Di.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry for your loss! My sincere condolences to your dad, too. He must be really heartsick right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soggiebottom, Di and houndstooth, Thank you for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so sad! I hope you can focus on the fact that you three gave him a year of love, of family and of happiness.
    Lovely Ol' Boy, run free x

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no words to express how sad I am for your Dad and you Sue. Your Dad should be so proud that he brings older unwanted dogs into home and lets them enjoy a wonderful loving home in the autum of their years.

    Please Dad your ad I am so very sorry.

    run free Albe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Albe didn't deserve to be so very ill, so I'm glad that you were able to be there to help your Dad and Albe. Know that you and your Dad and Polly are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, Sue and Hazel, Thank you for your kind words. I told dad, that in the shorter time Maggie and now Albe had with him he knew more love than in a lifetime. Older dogs are just so loving and ask for nothing in return. Well of course they ask for treats:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sue we are so sorry about your dads puppy Albe..you have not been coming up in my reader ad I didn't see this post..poor baby..i am sending all our love and hugs at such a sad time..no one wants there babies to leave and it breaks our hearts...so love to you you dad and Polly...Bev xxx <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bev, Thank you. Sadly we've all been through it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so sad. Your dad just got Albe. But what a wonderful last year he had. I'm sure Polly will miss him too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gyeong, That's what I said to dad. He said today he was getting use to not having Albe there:(

    Polly looked around for him Monday.

    Hope your fur babies are all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Sue, I so feel for your dad at the loss of his friend and companion Albie. I'm sure you and Polly will miss him too. So sad, I could not help getting emotional at this post.
    sending warm hugs to all Lottie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lottie, We do all miss him. Sorry I made you emotional hun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taffys Mum11:31:00

    So sorry to hear of your dad's loss Sue. May Albe run free at the rainbow bridge with the 4-legged friends including Maggie who have passed before him.
    May your dad be happy in the knowledge that he gave Albe a chance to experience lots of home comforts in the last year of his life xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Taffys Mum, Thank you. He sure did have a lovely year with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry to hear this. Run Free, Abe. He gave him a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trina, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments. I do read them all and will reply in this comments section.