Saturday, 18 April 2015

Why Greyhounds?

After reading a fab post on Tales and Tails (http://talesandtails.com/) it got me thinking about how I came to have my first Greyhound Song and how that led to me having Polly and recently Honey.

Poppy my Jack Russel was a perfect dog for me.  You may wonder why when she went to The Bridge, I chose to get a Greyhound.  Simple answer is I had always loved the breed.


The first time I saw Song, she was completely shut down and when I walked her she plodded beside me with her head down.  After also walking a couple of large boys, I stood outside Song's kennel and she looked up and that was the second I fell in love.  They brought her to me two weeks later when she had finished her season.  They home checked me and then brought her in.  It was her 6th birthday.

  Those of you who have been visiting my blog know that Song was a spook dog.  She was terrified of men, although instantly liked my dad and very anxious when left alone in my flat.  It  took months to see her actually open up and enjoy life.  It  took almost a year for her to realise what joys could be had from playing with a stuffy.  Sadly I lost her far too soon and my heart was shattered.  


My dad suggested I ring the rescue kennels where I got Song from and see what they had.  I was told they had a nice black girl.  When they brought Polly to meet me, she came up to me and leaned against me.  I knew instantly that she was coming home with me.  Actually it was two weeks before I went to collect her, as she was in season.  Polly is different to Song in many ways, but it's those ways that mended my heart.  


Now I also have Honey.  She is so different to Song and Polly.  She soon learnt the joy playing with stuffys can give and takes great delight in tossing them and chasing them.  She is very much like a very large puppy:)  



There are so many Greyhounds needing homes, yet each of mine have picked me and I am so grateful they did.

17 comments:

  1. Such a love story! Greyhounds are so loving and obvious you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel, Thanks for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We waited six months for our pup, then drove 6 hours one way to pick her out of a litter, then two weeks later went back (another 6 hours one way) to pick her up. Wanted a puppy so badly, hadn't had one in a long time. Well,she has given us a run for our money, but we love her and would not part with her. She is going to be three in May and we still call her puppy, because she still acts like a big puppy!! Know where you are coming from, when we have a dog, we are ALL IN! Part of your family and your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, Yes, part of our family and our heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They capture your heart don't they? I know mine have.
    April

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the post about the friends you've had to share your home and love. It's interesting to see the different personalities, isn't it? Each puppy brings something special. Even with our 2 grands that are sisters, they are unique in their personalities. Our best mannered one though, is the older gentleman, Ossie. He's quite reserved, and his Mama is the DD. Even though he struggles to move now, when she's expected home, he still manages to get up to greet her. Of course the others nearly knock him down in their excitement, so he has to be monitored. Greys make wonderful pets...now as for watchdogs...well, I'm not certain on that one!!! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. April, They sure do. When one leaves and breaks it, another arrives to mend it.

    MaryH, Just like us humans dogs sure do have their own characteristics.

    The best watchdog I've ever had was my Jack Russel. Greyhounds rarely bark at people coming to the home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting comments re Greyhounds not being good watchdogs. Asher is a very good watchdog and so were any foster boys who stayed more than a few days. Might be Frankie's expert tuition, lol! So glad Polly and Honey are a good match for you and each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely story. I first fell in love with greyhounds in the early '90's when I spent a lot of time with a friend who volunteered for Greyhound Pets of America. I found it impossible to spend time with the breed and not fall in love...been owned by one ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, Maybe the boys are more vocal:)

    Thanks. Yes Polly and Honey are a good match.

    Kat, I'm not surprised you have had a Greyhound ever since you volunteering with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greyhounds are awesome and they definitely pick you. And they always come along right when you need them. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love who different all their personalities are. And so fun to watch them come out of their shells.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trina, Yes they are awesome.

    gyeong, It is the difference that endears them to us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your story, Sue! All but 2 of our puppies have been rescues, and we have been so blessed by them! Currently, we have a rescued German Shepherd - it breaks my heart at how timid he is. Presently, he is learning how to play and he is 5 years old - isn't that so sad that he doesn't know how to play? Our kitty is also a rescue, and she is a love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna, It is amazing that rescue animals give us love, despite what's happened to them previously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was beautiful, Sue. Thank you for sharing! Those dogs picked you because they recognize you as an angel!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darnell, Thank you for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments. I do read them all and will reply in this comments section.