Sunday, 24 May 2015

Just A Dog


From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for "just a dog."
Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."
"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience
that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.
So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.
"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.
I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
"just a man" or "just a woman."
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
just smile,
because they "just don't understand."
~Unknown Author~


Don't tell any of these that they are 'Just A Dog'





























14 comments:

  1. I heard a wonderful story about a PAT dog this week. The owner was holding the dogs lead and talking to someone in the corridor of a hospital. Her attention was focused on the conversation, then she noticed a slight tug of the lead. She turned round to see the dog and an exhausted surgeon who had just completed a few hours of hard surgery having a cuddle on the floor. Pretty sure they would never say the words 'just a dog' - and neither would I! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post....lump in my throat and tears in my eyes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Just a dog" becomes part of the family. I haven't thought it through as you did here, with all the unspoken benefits that comes with being the parent of 'just a dog', but the author of this piece really got it. While "just a dog" can be very expensive to keep & time-consuming, the love & companionship far outweigh the seemingly 'negative' aspects of being responsible for another of God's creatures. Think coming home after a horrible work day, to see "Just a dog" wagging his tail & quivering - because he is just so delighted you are back home with him. I enjoyed the pictures. The little black lab reminded me of our Bandit (16 yr old cocker - who is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)...nice post. I'm glad you have Polly & Honey to add joy to your life! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, What a lovely story about the surgeon and the dog. You only have to put a BP monitor on someone and ask them to stroke a dog to see just how fabulous dogs are.

    Kat, Sorry I made you get a lump in your throat, think I was typing it:) This post came about due to someone saying just these words to me when I lost Song.

    MaryH, It's nice to know our pets are waiting for us at Rainbow Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, Sue. So, so true. I'm a dog-lover through and through and these words and photos made me nearly cry remembering all our faithful companions of the past. Thank you for sharing! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! You made me tear up! Thank you for sharing it - even if you did make my mascara run. ;-) April

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darnell, We cry because we love them so. People who say 'just a dog' will never know that love.

    April, Sorry about the mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very true. People question our efforts for Cali all the time..they just don't understand. Worth every penny, moment and heartache.
    thank you for posting this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No such thing as just a dog in our house. Each one has been a family member, cared for and loved just like all other family members. And when they leave us, we grieve for our loss. And when a new one joins our family, we count our blessings. They give so much in such a short time, we should take lessons from the animals around us, the world would be a better place..........thanks for the post, loved it.

    hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trina, You are welcome.

    Sue, Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Sue, very powerful.
    Popping by to wish you well, missing your desk at WOYWW today - can you email your address - juliadunnit@me.com - I'd like to send you an ATC so you don't feel missed out!
    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julia, Thank you.

    I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos, and caring message, Sue. I guess each person has their priorities. What I don't understand is why people who do not love fur-people seem to feel the need to "berate" those who love animals. We all are unique, and I think it is important for a balance. We love our fur children - they bring so much into our lives, and we in turn, give them a good life. Animals are so wonderful, and it is sad that we cannot respect them more than we do.

    I am beginning to feel a little better. Still difficult to use my fingers, as my hand-eye coordination is very poor, and the fatigue is exhausting! LOL But I can sit up now for brief periods of time, and enjoy doing some things around the house. I have missed you and your posts very much. love, de

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna, Totally agree. Everyone is different and we are all entitled to our opinion. I do feel sorry for people without pets, as they miss out on so much.

    Glad you are improving. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments. I do read them all and will reply in this comments section.

All comments will appear once approved.